Formed in April 1959, Our Redeemer Lutheran Church first gathered for worship in the Peters Township High School auditorium. The congregation began worshipping at the current site in December 1963. The original sanctuary was upstairs, in a space that is now used for preschool classrooms.
In 1978, after many years of pastoral transitions, the Rev. John F. (Jack) Yedlicka was called as Pastor.
Children's Sermon during worship at Peters Twp High School
The original church building, completed in 1963
Last service in the original sanctuary, January 1999
After many years of dreaming and planning, construction on the new sanctuary began in July 1998. The first service in that new sanctuary was held in May 1999. The Rev. Dr. Ann Schmid was called as Senior Pastor in July 2002 upon Pastor Yedlicka's retirement. The Rev. Steve Broome was called as Associate Pastor in October 2003. The expanded fellowship hall was dedicated in February 2004.
Groundbreaking for the new sanctuary, July 1998
Construction on the new sanctuary
Adding the cross to the steeple
In August 2019, the mortgage was paid off. Bishop Kurt Kusserow attended worship and the mortgage burning. During the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020-2021, Our Redeemer was able to provide online worship, online Sunday School, outdoor worship, and even a "virtual choir". In July 2021, Pastor Steve Broome retired. The Rev. Kerri Clark began as Associate Pastor in February 2022. In January 2023, Pastor Ann Schmid retired.
Burning the mortgage, August 2019
Pastor Schmid and Pastor Kerri, December 2021
Pentecost Worship, June 2022
In many ways, things are "back to normal" - worship and Growing in God took place in person, and fellowship and other events are being scheduled again. We also have carried forward the lessons learned through the pandemic, as worship continues to be livestreamed each Sunday. We are excited to see what the Holy Spirit has in store for Our Redeemer in the coming years!